February 10, 2009

Friends in otherwise annoying places

I've got a lot of Facebook friends that I've never met or even talked to. The number probably stretches into the 200s. This is because I went on a themed Facebook-friending spree as a freshman in college in lieu of studying for a calculus final. I don't have anything in common with them, but I actually love reading about their lives. Some of them are doing really amazing things, some of them have become beautiful, and some of them are coping with major crap amazingly well. One of my Facebook-only friends is on a VH1 reality show called "For the Love of Ray J," which is basically a knock-off of "Flava of Love" -- but slightly less trashy, if you can believe that.

Tonight I was cooking (SOMETIMES I COOK, OKAY?) and I noticed that "For the Love of Ray J" was playing. Naturally, I decided to eschew every one of my cultural principles and watch it. (Almost any excuse to abandon principles is a good one.) Here are some things I observed while slicing leeks:
  1. Ray J is kinda sexy (but who is he? A musician of some sort?)
  2. They are scraping the bottom of barrel looking for hot girls to be on reality dating shows (exception: my Facebook-only friend, who is gorgeous)
  3. All these women are certainly only trying to wedge their foot in the doorway of the entertainment industry
  4. Reality television is totally fake!
None of these statements are revolutionary, obviously, but I feel like it's my duty to tell the world (or, the six people who read this blog) that my Facebook-only friend participated in this purported "dating competition" in spite of the fact that she's been serious with the same guy for years. What! A scandal, you say!? Not on a high quality VH1 reality program!? This week she was almost eliminated because Ray J sensed she might be less available than advertised... but she was able to bamboozle him with her feminine wiles to survive another week. Next week's preview foretells even more drama. She'll get a lot of exposure for her modelling career from this little stint, no matter how it turns out. Good for her!

Bamboozling men? Bamboozling the Man? I guess we do have something in common-- other than our love of Ray J, of course. But LADIES, who doesn't love Ray J?

No comments: