January 18, 2009

Winter makes me stir-fry crazy

During the winter, I get a lot of crazy ideas that my mother and my precious sane friends usually have to remind me aren't practical. Usually those ideas are things like, shave my head and pierce an eyebrow, or throw away all my clothes and start a new wardrobe from scratch. A few weeks ago, I had this wild idea that I could subsist on yogurt and mujadara (a lentil-rice-onion dish) and coffee until the end of my graduate career to save money. It costs about 5 dollars to make a week's worth of mujadara, and I can usually get 2 yogurts for a dollar... but after a couple weeks of doing that, I find that you can't survive on lentils alone. They need to have veggies in them, and sometimes condiments. Condiments are surprisingly expensive, especially the ones I like on my mujadara.

Hierarchy of condiments:

10. Peanut sauce
9. Horseradish
8. Wasabi (like horseradish, only better)
7. Soy sauce
6. Plum sauce
5. Tahini
4. Raita
3. Louisiana hot sauce
2. Teryaki sauce
1. Sriracha

Sriracha is the KING of condiments! Depending on the mood I'm in, raita can go right to the top, or plum sauce, or tahini... But you can put sriracha on anything. Once on Top Chef, Casey the hot chef made sriracha ice cream that failed spectactularly, but I think that if she'd been given enough time, she could have made it work.

No comments: