September 5, 2008

Um, this has been a really hard week in terms of sleeping and eating, but you know what makes it awesome? Fulfilling my monthly awkward situation requirement by going out for drinks with both my research adviser AND academic adviser AT THE SAME TIME.

TWO DAYS IN A ROW.

THEY ARE MARRIED TO EACH OTHER.

For some reason that makes it much more awkward for me. The fact that they are married somehow makes me want to perform like a little monkey for them so they will go home and say "My, my, that Elyse is an entertaining little devil," even though what I should hope they say is more like "My, my, that Elyse is really meeting our expectations as a graduate student." But my brain does not work like that, so I'm chugging down a Guinness and making jokes about Sarah Palin's kids' names, Trig and Trackmark and Whatnot.

Actually, I really like hanging out with them because it's not like they are uptight-- they are funny and cool. My brain is just bruised from trying to learn histochemical techniques, memorize the layout of the lab, and thinking of non-sexual non-swearing non-blatantly offensive non-chicago non-cynical jokes. Seriously, I can only make fun of Trackmark Palin and bad North Carolina pizza for so long before I am rifling through my barrel of tricks to find a story that isn't about making a boy cry.

Ugh, it's early. I have situps to do, class to go to, and work-appropriate humor to construct before I go to a BBQ tonight.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I got second-hand performance anxiety just reading this.