July 23, 2008

my class ring

my mom insisted that i let her buy me a class ring because i spent four years at the University of Chicago being stressed out, depressed, emotionally and intellectually isolated from my peers, and working my fucking ass off (most of the time). at the time, i mostly agreed because i didn't want to argue with her, because all i cared about was graduating and getting the hell out.

... but now that my ring is finally on my hand, i am so glad i have it. thanks mom!

i had the company create a custom die for me because i have a specialization in neuroscience. to be honest, my degree was technically in biology but my heart was only in the neuroscience (well, i loved the evolution and ecology classes but i didn't specialize in that). our degrees are A.B., not B.A., so i wanted to reflect that on the ring, too... because why would i want a ring to commemorate my college degree in an almost-accurate manner? it didn't cost anything extra for me to be a picky bitch about it, anyway. so my ring took an extra month and a half. and now it's finally here!

it is white gold with a white/clear stone in it and no black detail tarnishing, so it doesn't look like some rah-rah-school-pride ring. it is a serious symbol of my commitment to neurobiology. on one side it says A.B. Neurobiology, and on the other, 2008, and no other ring will say that.

the other thing i like about the ring is that it's big and hard and if i need to, i can hit somebody with it. haha, just kidding?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

We want pictures!