July 25, 2008

anhedonia

i have, in general, much difficulty feeling enthusiastic about anything, but holidays and social situations in particular.. when i moved to college there was a running joke in my dorm because i reminded this huge group of movie loving people of Annie Hall; they claimed this was a compliment because they loved that movie. well, i'd never seen Annie Hall, and when i finally did, i found it to be less of a compliment and more of an astute perception of my not-as-carefully-hidden-as-i'd-like neuroses. whatever, so i don't experience collective effervescence? boo hoo.

so here is a shortlist of things that most people enjoy and that i find (a) uninspiring or (b) depressing because i find them uninspiring. the difference between (a) and (b) is the amount of ecstasy i feel as though i am missing.

  • graduation; mine or anyone else's. i mean, i was pretty damn glad to be done and to move out of my shitty apartment, but i'm sure there's more to it than that.
  • 4th of july; i hate fireworks.
  • christmas and new year's eve; NYE is the worst because there is so much pressure to enjoy it. usually i sit at home and cry and eat cookies and watch a movie that takes place in the summer months and drink alone.
  • weddings; actually, this probably shouldn't go on the list... i just feel sad for people who get married to some loser, or who get married young and don't get to have any fun. but i also don't want to have a wedding ever, so i'm including it.
  • birthdays; just mine, actually. i hate forcing people to celebrate my birth when they should really be rueing the day, like i am. if someone would just leave a cake on my doorstep and give me the day off to eat it and ignore happybirthdays as i please, that would be ideal.
  • romance; ugh, i know you just want to make out with me. stop pretending you care and put your hands on my boobs. good boy/girl.
maybe i shouldn't put that thing about romance up there without a disclaimer: you know this blog, like me, is half-joking all the time right? you can't just put your hands on my boobs. you need to amuse me with your cute sense of humor and buy me dinner first.

No comments: