June 3, 2009

Cultural values

When I visited home last week, I went to the grocery store with my mom. She held up a box of organic cereal and said, "This is so expensive. It's like two bottles of wine." She then revealed to me that she converts the price of luxuries in wine bottles to determine if they are worth the expense.

I was surprised because I do the same thing with yogurt. In line to purchase my lunch, I think to myself, "I could buy six yogurts for the price of this hummus wrap." When I order a coffee, I think, "This is π/3 yogurts." In fact, I have become so adept that I can convert money to various yogurt brands as if they were foreign currencies. The exchange rate varies week-to-week because of grocery store sales.

In the future, when our government unravels into matriarchal tribes, mine will be a gluten-free yogurt economy with a rock'n'roll religion backbone.

1 comment:

Purslane said...

Benziger makes a number of different wines. Some cost $25; others cost $50. Domaine de la Romanée-Conti makes five or six different wines. The least expensive from the most recent vintage costs $350.