June 13, 2009

Psychology is the new home ec

When you grow up, they tell you girls can do anything. They tell you that more women should go into science and math. And then they have things like Girl Scouts to make young women feel empowered.

What a load of crap.

Men don't actually want women to be their contemporaries in any field, particularly science and math. Males are raised with the expectation that they will naturally excel in "logical" subjects and like the perceived security that comes when they pursue a career in those fields. I have personally experienced many situations where a man will shamelessly tell me something that we both know is incorrect just to show me "how little" I understand compared to him. And you know what? 95% of Girl Scout badges are about "fashion" and "cooking" and other housewifery skills. I know because I was a Girl Scout. We had three committees in our camp for each meal we prepared: Cooks, dishwashers, and people who had to prepare the centerpiece. Do you think the Boy Scouts make centerpieces? No fucking way. Little girls, but not little boys, have the importance of a useless decoration committee impressed upon them by an organization that advertises delivery from this very trap. And this centerpiece committee hearkens to exactly where men want to keep women in the workplace-- in an ornamental and non-essential role.

It's lucky that I turned out to be such a man-eating bitch. Whenever some "man" spouts off some crap to me that I know he's made up, I don't fret. I don't feel stupid or frustrated, I don't cry, compulsively shop, or run and get another man's help. I don't feel insecure, regret my choice of career, or want to punch anything. I just remind myself that assholes like him will never get to date me or collaborate with me professionally, and that's a huge loss because I'm a great kisser and a kick-ass scientist.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are only ever going to be 50% chemist.....