October 29, 2008

How to apply for NSF funding... and how not to

What you should do:
  1. Designate enough time in the month before the application is due to put together a well-thought out proposal, personal statement, and resume.
  2. Submit drafts to your adviser and other trusted people for feedback.
  3. Edit, rewrite, edit, rewrite.
  4. Consider many examples of grant essays and apply what worked for them to your grant.
  5. Feel proud of yourself for submitting a coherent and substantial application.

What Elyse does:
  1. Think of an idea for a proposal exactly 12 days before the grant is due.
  2. Spend the better part of three afternoons writing, rewriting, and rewriting again.
  3. Submit to adviser just in time to get his feedback on a single draft, maybe two if I'm lucky.
  4. Submit application and pray that you just get lucky.
  5. Pray more. Then : epic fail.

Why do I even bother? Because I need an extra $5k a year? When did money become so important? When did I stop having a life? How can I even expect success when I haven't tried very hard? Don't I have any work ethic? and most importantly... how did I become the Goofus against life's Gallantry?

6 comments:

Darshan P. Mundada said...

The last questions in these blog.. They surely make one think! Interesting to read your blog..

twisby said...

hey, you live in chapel hill! what are you studying?

Darshan P. Mundada said...

I am pursuing my masters in peace and conflict resolution! What about you?

And do keep on posting! You seem to have written quite a few good articles! Cheers!

twisby said...

i'm a neurobio PhD student! thanks for your comments :) i'll have to check out your blog later, too.

Darshan P. Mundada said...

Great! Surely, check it at your convenience!

Nice to know you! Cheers!

Darshan P. Mundada said...

And neurobio.. Is that what you said? Sounds interesting... hmm