April 15, 2009

My Monthly Cycles

MyMonthlyCycles.com is a free website that enables women to track their periods. After you track a few cycles, it calculates your average cycle length and predicts your period start dates for you. You can also track ovulation and symptoms, if you want. Admittedly, this website has changed my life. I would never be able to keep track of hormonal crap like that without an email reminder-- I'm a little like Einstein that way. You know, if Einstein was absentminded about buying tampons instead of brushing his hair.

Every month or so they have a new poll topic about -- you guessed it-- menstrual cycles. Usually the poll is something like "You're headed to the beach and you realize you got your period! Do you: (A) Wear a tampon. (B) Stay home. (C) Go, but keep all your clothes on. (D) Cry uncontrollably until someone gives you a valium."

This month the poll asks us whether women should be compensated (with extra pay or extra vacation time) for their periods. UM HELLO!? No? Ladies, all you're doing when you menstruate is sitting around and bleeding*. I see no reason why you should be compensated for this unless your job involves swimming with sharks, feeding steak to bears, or playing in the nude with wild oranguatans.... Or maybe if you work for Bill Clinton.

*I can say this because I'm a woman.

No comments: