April 14, 2009

AmazonFail, ConsumerFail

I recently learned that I have not been using the Internet correctly for years! Beyond the fact that I don't really like watching YouTube videos or creating sexy webcams or sexnetworking on MySpace, I'm apparently not shopping correctly either. I'm just a failure as a woman.

The controversy with Amazon.com and its "delisting" of media dealing with homosexuality and feminism brought this to my attention. To check the extent of this "AmazonFail," I went to Amazon.com and searched for gay and lesbian literature, only to learn that I was still able to find and purchase it. I went to Twitter and asked the world what the big f'in deal was.

The world told me (or rather, some random guy who happened to read my Twitter post told me) that "It's not that "objecitionable" [sic] content isn't for sale. Amazon delisting makes these books harder to find." So wait, I had assumed that "delisting" meant removing something from sale... but apparently, the big controversy is based on those annoying lists that pop up when you look at a book. You know, the ones where people who can't bother to spell right list their favorite literary works? I find those lists to be the least helpful and most self-indulgent things on Amazon.com. But apparently it matters a lot that we can no longer read JimBobTX1978's list of favorite lesbian parenting books. (Obviously that's discrimination, but maybe we should be happy that it's a small step toward getting rid of these lists completely.)

I've been shopping wrong for years, apparently. I should be buying all my books based on "Britneyz Favrite Russian Lit" because those lists are the most powerful component of Amazon.com's industry. That would have saved me a lot of time sifting through my own Amazon searches-- think of all the WORDS I had to read to decide what book to buy!? What was I thinking?

So hey Amazon.com... what you did was wrong and discriminatory and just plain ignorant. But hey consumers, how pathetic are you? Stop relying on the Internet to pick out your goddamn books for you!


No comments: