November 1, 2009

Halloween 2009

I don't think I'll ever really understand Halloween. Is it religious or pagan? Is it for kids or adults? As a kid, wearing a costume made me cry, and other kids' costumes scared me. Even now the idea of dressing up like a stranger perplexes me... who am I supposed to be when I'm in costume? A character? Myself? Which myself?

I walked around campus on Friday as confused as ever. On a non-holiday, the undergrads look strange to me. Half of them are wearing baby blue t-shirts and athletic shorts, and the other half look like a bad cut/paste job from an Urban Outfitters catalog. On Halloween, I figure it's safe to assume they're in costume. Maybe the Urban Outfitters kids dressed up as the school spirit kids to be ironic, and the school spirit kids wore the ugliest outfits imaginable to make fun of the Urban Outfitters kids. Or maybe no one was in costume and they all looked like they do every day. Honestly, it's hard to tell the difference.

I spent my Halloween drinking wine and eating stir fry with a French Kiss, a wild type Drosophila, Pumpkin π, and a guy named Luv. My costume was Bad Elyse-- which is a joke, see, because there is no Good Elyse. Hahahaha. Ah, I don't get Halloween at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pagan is also religious! :)

twisby said...

yes... you're right. after i posted it i considered revising it to "secular" or a more appropriate descriptor, but i was too lazy, and now it's out there for you all to see. i'm ashamed. ;)