October 17, 2009

Then came the Beatles, and it was Good.

My mom and I listened to the Beatles' remastered Revolver (stereo) this morning. We're huge Beatles geeks. We debated which album best represented when the Beatles' sound began to change. I think Revolver shows the complete revolution they made... but she thinks earlier. Rubber Soul, perhaps? And which song is more perfect-- "And Your Bird Can Sing" or "Here, There, and Everywhere"? Every time a song came on we had a conversation that went like this:

Me: I really like this song.
Mom: Me too! It's a really good song.

or

Me: This is a perfect song.
Mom: Yes, this is really one of [Paul/John/George]'s best songs.

It's like saying "amen" after a prayer. Everything in my family is about the Beatles to the point of ridiculousness. When I was little and we skipped going to mass, my mom would play "Hey Jude" and "Let it Be" and say that it was good enough. My mom got a new puzzle last week. She said, "It'll give us something to do at Christmas besides look at the snow." It's a white album puzzle-- 500 white pieces. Only in my family.

1 comment:

Purslane said...

I got "Rubber Soul" from the library last week and have listened to it a lot. I like it, but I don't hear anything even slightly revolutionary. For me, it's all about "Magical Mystery Tour."

Please have only good moments with mom and (your other) dad this visit.